Saturday, November 17, 2012

Fall Blessings

I love fall. It is my favorite season. I love the brilliant colors of the leaves and fall decor. I love sitting around bonfires and toasting marshmallows. I love harvest and all the sights and smells that go along with it. I love the shorter days and evenings cuddling with our kids in their fuzzy pajamas. I love apple cider. I love pumpkin pie. And fall happens to be the home to my favorite holiday -- Thanksgiving. 

I love Thanksgiving because at this time of year I stop to remember how much I have to be thankful for. It is SO easy to focus on daily frustrations and mundane chores. Some days I have to be very intentional to have joy and to focus on the positives. We are all so unbelievably blessed. 




So, here are some things I am thankful for. 

God, because He is my strength and comfort and peace. There are days when I am in constant prayer and so thankful that I can talk to God about the things that break my heart most and about the things that fill my heart with joy.

And His Son, Jesus Christ, because I need a Savior -- every day.

My husband, because he is the most amazing man I have ever met. He is hard-working and full of wisdom. He is disciplined. He is forgiving. He is kind. He is loving. He is encouraging. I am so proud to share this life with him, and grateful that he works so hard to give our little family all we need. 

My children because they truly are a blessing from the Lord. They make me laugh. They make me learn. They make me cry. They make me play Hullabaloo with them. 

My health. This is one that I know I do not truly appreciate, because I think you cannot truly appreciate good health until you no longer have it. 

Our home. It has nothing to do with the colors on the walls or the placement of furniture or the porch swing. It has everything to do with the memories.

Modern conveniences. Ok, I admit that after visiting New Salem years ago I thought it would be cool to live in a log cabin and cook over a fire and sleep on a trundle bed. But I am POSITIVE that the thrill of life without indoor plumbing and electricity and motorized vehicles would fade pretty quickly. So, I'll enjoy modern conveniences and spend a few nights out of the year camping in a tent and cooking over a fire. Good enough for me.

Healthy food, because there are SO many who did not eat today.

Hot tea in the mornings, because I just never could acquire a taste for coffee.

Long, hot showers, because I can think in the quiet of the shower.

Long walks and runs, because it feels good to get outside and play. 

And, Arby's new Peppermint Stick Swirl Shake, because it is AWESOME!!



No comments:

Post a Comment