Sunday, July 15, 2012

In God We Trust



http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-god-we-trust-house-re-affirms-national-motto--yet-again/2011/11/02/gIQAiZRWfM_story.html


It's our national motto -- In God We Trust! 


I starting thinking of all the things we "trust," and it is scary. We trust that when we come to a railroad crossing that lights will come on and a safety arm will lower to prevent us from driving into danger on the tracks. Deadly accidents have occurred when there is a malfunction and no warning is given. How often do we just trust the safety features to work? How often do we fly over the tracks without looking for a train? Should we trust a man-made warning device? 


We trust jumbo jets. Well, some of us trust jumbo jets. Answerbag.com figures that every day, 1,500,000 passengers step onto a plane and put their trust in the huge machine designed to defy gravity. They trust that their pilot, whom they likely have never met, is competent to operate the machine, and they trust that all the mechanics of the plane are in optimal condition and capable of completing the flight. Should we trust that when we board a plane that we will arrive at our destination safely?


We trust our smoke alarm. We trust that the first sign of smoke will be detected and an alarm will sound before harm is done to our families. We trust that a little battery that powers that alarm is charged enough to operate the small device. Sure, we can "test" the alarm and it beeps (Yeah, the alarm operates!!), but how do we know that all the detection properties of the electronic are in tip-top shape? We trust that in case of a fire the high-pitched shrill of an alarm will wake us in the deepest state of sleep. Should we sleep at night, trusting that a man-made detection device will indeed protect us from disaster?


When we go to a restaurant to eat, we trust that the food that is prepared for us is made of high-quality ingredients and that the food preparers use proper hygiene. We trust that the food will be nourishing, and not contaminated with disease. We trust that all the individuals involved in the food have our best interest in mind when doing their part in the food industry. Should we?


Well, we could go on and on about things and people that we trust in. I propose that instead of trusting in people and machines that we return to our national motto and start trusting God again. He is, after all, the controller of the universe. All the laws of nature that we assume to be true don't apply to Him. He can override them on a whim. Anything we call "impossible" is possible with God -- at the snap of His finger. His very qualities are unfathomable -- a God who is everywhere, knows everything and everyone, and hears everything. No mind can begin to comprehend the complexity and power of our God. 


I admit, there are days that I don't want to "bother" God with all my petty requests. I think I can handle the little stuff and bring the big stuff, the overwhelming stuff, to God when it feels like more than I can handle. So, where does that put my trust? Sometimes I trust too much in myself, and in others. And, as a result, I forget that it is God who gives me EVERYTHING!! It is God who has blessed me in amazing ways!! I forget to thank Him and begin to focus more on myself and how smoothly I can keep things running around here. 


I forget how quickly God can humble me. I forget how a cancer diagnosis can change my life here on earth. I forget how quickly a natural disaster can take all my personal possessions. I forget how a car accident can steal my mobility and cause me to depend on others to handle simple daily tasks. I forget how much I need God. I forget how POWERFUL God is. 


So, I am going to find ways to make sure that each day I put my trust in God, with the little things as well as the big things. I am going to make sure that my prayer life reflects how much I treasure the relationship I have with God. 


So, our Congress in 1956 decided to adopt "In God We Trust" as our national motto. And the debate will likely continue. Perhaps it will not be taught in schools. Perhaps it will disappear from our currency. But if we teach it to the next generation they will not forget why our nation has been incredibly blessed. 


I close with my favorite Psalm. Psalm 121.



I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip—
    he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord watches over you—
    the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
    nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all harm 
    he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going
    both now and forevermore.




No comments:

Post a Comment