Friday, April 27, 2012

Do You Like Asparagus???

Matthew's favorite vegetable is asparagus. Growing up, my mom NEVER made asparagus. In fact, the first time I may have learned about this delicious vegetable may have been through VeggieTales. (Now that is sad.) Anyway, when Matthew asked me to prepare it, I was lost. So, I do what you do to any vegetable that you have no idea how to prepare -- I breaded it and fried it, of course. After a few meals of the same thing, I began experimenting, and searching out new recipes. This is, by far, our favorite! Matthew cut some asparagus from the garden tonight and I made Asparagus Pie. If you like asparagus, you will want to try this recipe. It has such a fresh, garden flavor, and is baked -- not fried!



Asparagus Pie

1/2 lb. asparagus
2 eggs
4 Tbsp butter, melted
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tomato, thinly sliced
1/4 cup shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 350F. Steam asparagus for 3 minutes. Arrange in a spoke design on the bottom of a buttered pie plate. 

Beat eggs. Add butter and cottage cheese; beat until smooth. Mix in sour cream, flour, baking powder and salt. Pour on top of asparagus. Arrange tomato slices on top and top with cheese. 

Bake for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment