Friday, April 27, 2012

Build a Cathedral Today!

My morning devotion time really spoke to me this morning, so I wanted to share it. It is from the book Breakfast with God, and is entitled "What Are You Doing Today?"


Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles! Laud Him, all you peoples! For His merciful kindness is great toward us. And the truth of the Lord endures forever. Psalm 117:1,2


In the Middle Ages a man was sent to a building site in France to see how the workers felt about their labor. He approached the first worker and asked, "What are you doing?"


The worker snapped at him, "Are you blind? I'm cutting these impossible boulders with primitive tools and putting them together the way the boss tells me. I'm sweating under this hot sun. My back is breaking. I'm bored. I make next to nothing!"


The man quickly backed away and found a second worker, to whom he asked the same question, "What are you doing?"


The second worker replied, "I'm shaping these boulders into useable forms. Then they are put together according to the architect's plans. I earn five francs a week and the supports my wife and family. It's a job. Could be worse."


A little encouraged but not overwhelmed by this response, the man went to yet a third worker. "What are you doing?" he asked.


"Why, can't you see?" the worker said as he lifted his arm to the sky. "I'm building a cathedral!"


How do you see your work today? Do you see it as drudgery without reward or purpose? Do you see it as "just a job"? Or, do you see your work as part of God's master design, not only for you but for others? Do you see yourself as a partner with Him in establishing His kingdom on earth?


How we regard our work may not effect whether a task gets done or not. It will, however, have an impact on the quality of our work and our productivity. The real impact of how we feel about a job lies in this: the more positive we feel about our work, the greater the satisfaction we have at day's end, and the less damaging stress we internalize. Those who see value in their jobs enjoy a greater sense of purpose.


Any job can be done with grace, dignity, style and purpose . . . you only have to choose to see it that way!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing. Have a great day and a great week end.
    In Christian Love , Bette June

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do the same, Bette June. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete