Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Hands-on History

I NEVER liked history -- until I became an adult. It was my least favorite subject in school. Now I am fascinated with it. And I want our children to be fascinated with it. So I try to give them hands-on experiences to make history more real, and less boring. 

Replicas of the Nina and Pinta (two of Christopher Colombus' famed exploration ships) were docked at the Keokuk Yacht Club this week. I imagined these boats on the open ocean. I couldn't help hearing teams of loud, grungy, sweaty sailors raising the sails and manually turning the heavy, wooden rudder to maneuver through choppy ocean waters. 

When I asked the girls what they thought of the Nina and Pinta, their reply was exactly what I had been thinking -- they are MUCH smaller than I imagined. They were beautiful ships that took 3 years to hand-craft by 8th generation shipbuilders, who were of Portuguese and Spanish descent. Most everything was made of wood or rope. It was a step back into history worth experiencing!







After touring the ships, we found a park to play at in Keokuk. This park had a beautiful garden area, with an Adopt-a-Bed program. I would love to implement the program at my house so other people can come beautify my flower beds, which didn't get much attention this year!!!!!





Less than 3 weeks after breaking his collarbone, I think it is safe to say that it is completely healed!!!!

This tree was so tempting for Emily and Eli . . .

. . . and Matthew too!









No comments:

Post a Comment