Monday, February 18, 2013

Ganglion Cyst, No More!!

Ganglion Cyst Overview

A ganglion cyst is a tumor or swelling on top of a joint or the covering of a tendon (tissue that connects muscle to bone). It looks like a sac of liquid (cyst). Inside the cyst is a thick, sticky, clear, colorless, jellylike material. Depending on the size, cysts may feel firm or spongy.

Gross, I know. Could doctors and researchers come up with more positive-sounding names for things. "Ganglion" is just a disgusting word!!

I had a ganglion cyst on the palm of my hand. It had been growing for years and years, and finally started affecting daily function. Matthew finally convinced me to see a surgeon. 

In less than a week, I parted with my ganglion cyst. A week later the stitches came out. And it is great to open a jar and turn a steering wheel without pain. Thank you, Dr. Sundberg!! (And thank you to Matthew, who changed a few extra diapers the week following the procedure. Thank you to Kathy for keeping the kids. And thank you to Emily and Megan, for taking on a few extra kitchen duties so we could have good meals!)




No comments:

Post a Comment