Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pride.

Pride. 

Can't the preacher talk about another sin? One that isn't so personal. Ok, one sermon is enough, but two weeks in a row? Let's move on to something that isn't as convicting.

Pride is a sin that can tempt me. Not that I have a lot to be proud of, but Satan can make me THINK I have a lot to be proud of. It is a sin that is not always evident on the outside. For a time, it is a sin that can be hidden.

I can become proud. I try to keep a humble attitude. But, there are days where I struggle and give into the temptation of being proud. 

I want to have a household that runs smoothly, with all the laundry put away, all the toys picked up, all the nutritionally-balanced meals served promptly at designated meal times. 

I like to have time for a run in the morning before Matthew goes to work, and then end the day with a nice yoga or aerobic routine. 

I want to have lesson plans written out two weeks in advance, books ordered from the library and materials for projects organized before the week begins. 

I want the school day to run smoothly, with extraordinary organization, good attitudes and a hunger for learning.

I like to have time in the afternoon while Eli naps to study my Bible and then work on one of the many, many unfinished projects that are waiting for my attention.

I want to have 10 minutes of uninterrupted conversation with my husband when he comes home.

I like to have a shower!!!!! (How many of you busy moms can relate??) 

And, when I do have one of these rare days where everything seems to fall into place, my head hits the pillow and I start reviewing the day with Matthew, telling him of all things that went right with our day at home while he was out. And the craziest thing happens -- I think to myself that I must be a wonderful wife and mother, homemaker and teacher. I think I must have it all together. When in reality, I was just the recipient of God's incredible grace. I take credit for ALL the wonderful gifts He gave me to bless my day.

So, what does the Bible say about pride and arrogance?
Proverbs 8:13 
13To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech.
Proverbs 11:2
2When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.
Proverbs 13:10
10Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.
Proverbs 16:18
18Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.
Proverbs 29:23
23 A man's pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor.
Isaiah 2:11 
11The eyes of the arrogant man will be humbled and the pride of men brought low; the LORD alone will be exalted in that day.

1 Corinthians 13:4

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
So I am going to work on having a quiet spirit, an attitude of humility and a heart full of gratitude for God's innumerable blessings.


No comments:

Post a Comment