Friday, October 11, 2013

They Call Them The Terrible Two's!!!

The time has come. 
The clash of wills.
The battle for control.
The tantrums.
Anything can trigger one.

Some people call them the "terrible two's." And, I admit, some times can be described as terrible. There is nothing pleasant about a toddler performing a class-act, head-turning tantrum in public. 

Eli has arrived at the "trying two's." His new favorite phrase is, "I don't want to obey." Such honesty. 

But, I prefer to call them the "trying two's," partly because this is one of my favorite stages of raising children (although we haven't navigated through all the stages yet)! 

Why, you might ask? The tantrums are frustrating and embarrassing! TRUE! I am amazed how they begin to absorb and learn EVERYTHING around them. Every day is filled with curiosity (sometimes destructive curiosity) and wonder. They begin to associate cause and effect. They realize that letters printed on a page have meaning. They see that all people are different, but have an overwhelming ability to make friends with ease. I love this age because, despite the tantrums, these little people are FUN and ENTERTAINING!

The girls and I have been studying the virtue of patience. Our study hasn't really spoken to me -- it has SCREAMED at me! 

James 1:19 tells us that we should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. 

What a lesson for me because I often am quick to speak.

Sometimes when the girls come to me with a grievance against her sibling, I am quick to declare judgement without hearing both sides of the complaint. 

Sometimes I speak out of anger and have to ask forgiveness. 

Sometimes I forget that a single spoken sentence of wisdom can be more memorable than a 5-minute lecture.

Sometimes I forget that the only thing in this world that I have control over is me, and my reaction to the people and circumstances around me. So, when my precious toddler decides to throw his little body on the floor at the library declaring that he will NOT put the trains away, the only thing I can control is how I react. 

I pray for patience with this boy who, five minutes later, will have us in stitches as a result of something he says or a funny face he makes. He will have me beaming with pride as he offers to share with others. He will amaze me with the newest fact he has learned! 

And, in the blink of an eye, he will be a man!

No comments:

Post a Comment