Friday, July 19, 2013

Backyard Camping

I grew up camping. I love it. There is something great about being in nature, marveling at God's creation and forgetting about all the troubles of home. We usually try to go camping at least once a year. One of my favorite parts is the food, because camp food is amazing -- and I'm not talking about hot dogs. 

Like I said, we usually try to camp with the kids once a year, although Matthew prefers to camp in the fall. He does not like the bugs of summer, and by the end of a long, hot day's work he does not want to sit around a hot fire and then sleep in humidity. I can't blame him. He makes a good argument. So, we tend to camp in the fall as a family. 

However, I usually try to set up the tent in the summer outside the house and camp out with the girls. No fire, no tasty food, but we still get to fall asleep to the sounds of the night. This week was our first great opportunity to set up the tent and sleep outside. Megan and I slept outside 3 nights; Emily slept with us 2 nights. And Essie tried to sleep in the tent one night, but got kicked out for unnecessary and constant kicking.

The second night, the sky was absolutely beautiful! The most amazing portrait of stars on a dark sky canvas! The first two nights we read Trumpet of the Swan (a book we are reading together).

The simplest and most inexpensive things you do together can give your family the best memories!



No comments:

Post a Comment